ABOUT FEEDING SOUTH FLORIDA
WHO WE ARE
As part of the Feeding America network consisting of 202 food banks, Feeding South Florida (FSF) is the largest of 9 Feeding America food banks in the state of Florida, and part of the Florida Association of Food Banks. FSF is the leading domestic hunger relief organization in South Florida, serving Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties through a network of nonprofit partner agencies, including soup kitchens, food pantries, homeless shelters, group homes, and other emergency food service programs.
(Click HERE for our 2013 Fact Sheet)
(Click HERE for an overview of hunger facts per county)
- Founded in 1981 as the Daily Bread Food Bank, Inc.
- Service area consists of:
- Four Counties: Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe
- Square Mileage: 9,874
- Number of Employees: 46
- Number of Warehouses: 2
- Number of Vehicles: 12
- Number of Partner Agencies: 325
- Number of pounds distributed in FY12-13: 34,400,000
- Value of food provided to South Florida: $57,000,000
- Hunger by the Numbers:
- 949,910 food insecure individuals throughout the quad-county service area
- 296,600 of those who are food insecure are chiildren
- Florida is ranked 5th state in the United States for food insecurity
- For every $1 donated, we can provide 6 meals (or 7 pounds of food)
- A meal is considered 1.2 pounds
- The average value of donated food is $1.69 per pound
ABOUT FEEDING AMERICA
Feeding America is the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Their mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger. For more information about Feeding America, click here.